Noted Director Ray Whelan is taking the helm of the play and will direct its premiere Saturday night, May 17 in San Francisco. Here's a backgrounder on Ray:
• A seasoned director/teacher/actor with strong interpersonal and communication skills reflecting broad experience in theatre, television and radio
• Over 15 years experience in corporate sales and customer service
• Major strengths include problem analysis and resolution, project management and team building
FASHION INSTITUTE OF DESIGN AND MERCHANDISING (FIDM), San Francisco, CA
Make presentations to groups of high school and college students regarding courses offered by FIDM.
• Consistently received outstanding reports from the educators to whom I presented.
Associate Professor of Drama
YORK UNIVERSITY, Toronto, Canada
Designed "About Directing", a class for directing students that allowed them to progress at their own pace and level. Taught play analysis and Laban movement classes.
• Expanded student enrollment by 25 percent for three consecutive years.
Co-Founder and Artistic Director
OPEN CIRCLE THEATRE, Toronto, Canada
Designed a plan for the innovative theatrical use of an historic courthouse. Raised $2.5 million for its conversion into a theatre complex, complete with a four-star restaurant and bar. Responsible for the planning and execution of the theatrical season. Produced and directed over 30 successful productions.
• Directed and produced one of Canada’s longest running comedy hits, The Primary English Class, which ran for over two years and toured Canada with two separate companies.
• Nominated Toronto's most prolific and creative director by Canada’s national newspaper, The Globe & Mail.
• Directed plays that won Globe & Mail awards in the categories of Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor and Best Foreign Play.
Drama Teacher [K-12]
TORONTO BOARD OF EDUCATION, Toronto, Canada
Ontario Artists in the Schools program
Presented workshops in over 50 public schools. Introduced students to a variety of techniques, such as Stanislavski, Viola Spolin and Rudolf Laban.
• Designed multi-media opportunity for students to create and perform their own scripts.
Freelance Director and Actor
Directed and/or performed in over 50 productions, including the works of David Mamet, Athol Fugard and George Bernard Shaw, in such venues as The Actors' Studio (New York), L.A. Actors'Theater, and Young Peoples' Theater (Toronto).
• Cast in leading roles for three consecutive years at Toronto Workshop Productions.
National Account Manager
DELORENZO MEDIA SERVICES
Solicited print advertising, exhibit booth sales and sponsorships to healthcare corporations. Presented opportunities to marketing executives of national corporations. Followed up with former clients on a regular basis to recommend new opportunities. Prepared and followed up on all contracts. Tracked existing client/customer invoices. Reconciled accounts receivable.
• Consistently exceed sales targets; surpassed recent Health Forum Conference sales target by 50 per cent
AMERICAN EXPRESS CORPORATE TRAVEL
Generated and implemented corporate account requirements, including quality control, and team building oral presentations. Compiled reports, organized conferences and meetings.
Customer Service Representative
Resolved disputes between corporate clients and vendor. Managed travel and accommodation reservations for corporate clients. Researched corporate travel billing disputes.
• Created a "no-show" travel department, resulting in significant cost savings for corporate clients
Goat Hall Productions
Act as creative consultant. Directed three theatrical productions. Provide general support as required.
St. Gregory's Food Pantry
St. Martin de Pores Soup Kitchen
Interact with members of public in need of support. Ensured cleanliness of facilities. Other duties as required.